Take the pledge at itcanwait.com to join with people all across the country.
This initiative focuses on educating people – especially teens – about the dangers of texting and driving. The message is simple, yet vital: When it comes to texting and driving, it can wait.
Each pledge made to never text while driving is a symbol of commitment to be part of a movement that helps everyone make safe choices with their wireless devices on the road. Teens, on average, text five times more a day than a typical adult. That’s a lot of texting! And drivers that text while driving are much more likely to be in a crash. So we are partnering with teens to get the word out about the serious effect texting and driving could have on their friends, their loved ones, and their future.
Together, we can all have a part in making sure no more lives are lost. No message is so urgent that it is worth diverting attention from the road and risking lives in the process. It Can Wait.
*According to the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
1. Visit the AT&T It Can Wait website and pledge to never text and drive. To do this, click the box next to "Pledge" and then click "Submit." Tweet your pledge with the #itcanwait hashtag.
2. Once you have pledged to never text and drive, click "Get Involved" at the top of your screen.
3. Follow the "Get Involved" steps to earn points for your school:
Step 1: Get Personal
- Swap in the "It Can Wait" logo for your profile picture on the day that you pledge (25 points).
- Share the "It Can Wait" video stories on Facebook and Twitter (25 points).
Step 2 - Get Social
- On Instagram, upload your photo with #itcanwait and tag your friends (50 points)
- Share your personal story with #itcanwait on Facebook and Twitter (50 points)
Step 3 - Get Moving
- Download the street activation kit and work with school officials to create posters and banners to display in your school (200 points).
To Get Your Points:
1. Take screen shots/photos of your Step 1, 2 and 3 activities (listed above).
2. Click "Submit Your Points."
3. Enter the name of the submitter and select the activity completed, the county, and school.
4. Upload your photos and screen shots, as well as a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
**Note -- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!**